Monday, May 11, 2009

Memphis Here We Come

Jeremiah headed to Memphis on Wednesday morning after the election on business. I joined him Thursday night, our kids were safe and sound with my parents, who always have an open invitation for their grandkids. I have to say JD and I are very lucky, both our parents will take all 4 of our kids most anytime when we ask. So to get away from the hustle and bustle of Starkville, jobs, school, kids, sports, and so on........... Let's just say our very BUSY life, we opted for a relaxing Mother's Day weekend alone in Memphis. We had a fabulous time - just the two of us! JD still had a little business to take care of Friday morning, so I enjoyed a breakfast of a "made to order" omelet at our hotel and then headed to the........
hot tub where I spent my morning catching up on all the latest gossip, reading the latest editions of all those girly magazines. It was very nice and QUIET! JD got through working, we had an afternoon of a late lunch, a long nap, and then to a night of blues.
We bought tickets to this concert, it lasted until the early morning hours, but I am pretty sure we were fast asleep by 11.
Saturday was spent with a little shopping at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Thanks JD for letting me pick out some much needed things for the house! And then we headed off, to well......let me let you guess............
Look in the background. Do you recognize that very famous mansion? One more glimpse.........
That's right!
GRACELAND, HOME OF THE KING, ELVIS

(he bought it in 1957, for $100,000, at the age of 22)
We just were not sure what to do with our afternoon, so we contemplated going, but it we knew it was little bit pricey. I called, Laura, to get the exact cost and directions and she said it was worth it. It was a done deal after that because Laura would NOT go or suggest that someone else go unless it really worth while. You see sweet Laura is a saver not a spender! Her exact advice, "You have to do it at least once in your lifetime." I now agree. I learned some Elvis facts and I will share a few............
Did you have a swing set like this growing up? I did and so did Lisa Marie.
Did you know that Elvis had quite an interesting decorating sense? This room was covered in this fabric. Walls and ceilings completely covered! Over 350 yards of material! I wonder how much dust is in there?
"The Jungle Room"
Lisa Marie's favorite chair
The ceiling and floor covered in green shag carpet. Nice, huh? Did you know that Elvis actually recorded a part of one of his hits in this very room?



He owned not one, but 2 planes!

You could pick up a phone and call anywhere in one of these.



Elvis owned many cars, but he also gave lots and lots of cars away. He gave cars away to family, friends, and people he did not even know.

Elvis was a wonderful singer and won endless awards for his talent, but most important Elvis was a very genuine person who loved his family and fans.
Here are just a few of his gold records, all around us in this room.

So next time you are in Memphis and have some time to spare, I do suggest going to Graceland.
The rest of the weekend........
We skipped lunch, because we headed to a Brazilian steak house for dinner. I will feel you in on what it is because I did not know myself. At this steak house they bring around tons of different kinds of meat such as lamb, duck , roast, pork chops, chicken, fillet mignon, and list goes on and on. You sample as much or little as you want. It was VERY good and VERY filling! We are old, so after dinner we called it a night. Sunday we headed to my parent's house to get our sweet babies and big girls. We were so ready to their smiling faces, and the best part of the weekend was all the big hugs we got when we returned.
It is always nice to have "a moment" to yourself, but there isn't anything sweeter than being back together as a family!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Loved the Elvis trivia!!

    Next Dumas family trip???? Holly Springs for Graceland Too!!

    ReplyDelete